Tuesday, July 18, 2017

CR 755: I've been deported


After 5½ years of being a part of my life, this afternoon my PowerPort was removed from my chest. It had been used my GemCis chemotherapy in 2012, my radical cystectomy surgery, my DD MVAC chemo is 2013, all 46 of my immunotherapy infusions in 2015-16, and dozens of CT scans. It has saved my veins from damage, has eliminated my arm bruising, done what it was intended to do, and served me well.
My PowerPort minutes after it was pulled like an alien from my living tissue
So why remove it? Three reasons. First, it’s not being used, and is unlikely to be needed in the foreseeable future. All of my recent CT scans at Kaiser have used my arms for the IV contrast. And if I need further immunotherapy, my arms are fine. Second, keeping the port in without ongoing use increases my risk of blood clots. Third, and most importantly, when I read books with my grandchildren on my lap, they have a tendency to bonk the back of their head into my port, which doesn’t feel good. And since Jennifer and I are going out to Utah next month to babysit the grandkids while Chelsea and Josh take a much-needed vacation, I wanted to be ready.

The procedure took 5 minutes. A local anesthetic, a little slice and tug, and it was out. A few stitches and I’m now I have no duties (get it? free port . . .) Good thing I have my passport.

In other news, Jennifer and I will be attending the BCAN ThinkTank in Charlotte NC from August 3-5. Stay tuned for the latest developments in all things BC related. But before that, Jennifer and I will be going up to New England to visit Spencer one last time on his thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. He’s currently in Vermont, and hopes to be in the White Mountains by the end of next week. If you haven’t given a few bucks to the fundraising purpose behind the hike -- to support the Chris Atwood Foundation -- please consider doing so.Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.