Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mets Day 608 - Home with the boys

This week there's nothing but testosterone at home.  Jennifer, Chelsea, and Rose are in Utah for the week, as Chelsea interviews at 4 different residency programs.  Jennifer is the babysitter, taxi driver, and sherpa, and Rose is responsible for drinking the milk and being cute.  With Kirsten at college, only the boys are home -- Josh, Spencer, Garrett, and I.  We've already scheduled a cleaning service to come muck out the place the day before the girls come home.

Garrett has had no school for the past two days due to ice and freezing rain yesterday, and a forecast of up to 6" of snow today (we only ended up getting an inch or two).  We have had a lazy couple of days, sleeping in, reading, Garrett playing video games, going out to eat.  My energy level is still markedly down post chemo.  I wonder how long the residual effects of the cumulative chemo burden will linger on.  I'm so glad that I have not been continuing with the ddMVAC rounds -- I can't imagine how lousy I would feel had I gone through 6 rounds.

I've been mulling whether I should continue on as a partner with my law firm, or take a permanent disability retirement.  On the one hand, I like having the option of returning should my health improve.  Plus, having the ongoing access to the firm's health care is nice (although as a partner I pay 100% of the cost, about $22,000 per year for family coverage).  On the other hand, I wonder how likely it is that I would ever be able to return to work, given the fact that I'm already past the statistical median point of overall survival for those with metastatic bladder cancer.  The head of my group and other partners are encouraging me to keep my relationship with the firm, so they can draw on my experience as needed.  I need to make a decision soon, as my current agreement with the firm only goes through the end of this year. 

1 comment:

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.