Monday, November 10, 2014

Mets Day 942: I'm also allegic to fondaparinux

Friday night in injected myself with the fondaparinux (Arixtra) provided to me by NIH. Saturday morning I woke up with an impressive rash around my injection site, on the right side of my abdomen. My preexisting rash that had been triggered by the Lovenox was on the left side. I continued with the injections on Saturday and Sunday, watching as my rash spread each day. Sleep was difficult as it itched constantly. It was also painful as I rolled over in bed.

This morning I called the NIH clinic and let them know what was going on. After several calls and consultations with Dr. Apolo's staff, I was told that I should switch over to Xarelto (rivaroxaban); however, NIH did not have that drug in their fomulary. Dr. Apolo sent an email to Dr. Aragon-Ching, who quickly called in a prescription for me. Looks like I'll be able to say goodbye to the injections, bruising, and rashes. Boo hoo.

These are the first two drugs that I've had a reaction to. Strange. I'm glad there is an alternative. Yet, in the past month, I've noticed a number of commercials by plaintiffs' lawyers for clients who have taken Xarelto and had unexpected bleeding. As a lawyer, I am no fan of class actions -- I've heard a number of class action attorneys say it's the best type of legal practice, "because there are no clients you have to answer to" -- but I nevertheless will be aware of excess bleeding. If nothing else, it gives me an excuse to not shave.

2 comments:

  1. I'm an overweight female almost 70 years old who had sudden gross hematuria over a 24 hour period. Through a cystoscopy the urologist found a small .5 cmm next to the right U.O. I'm having my first TURBT Nov. 19 as I have already put it off two times. What would you do differently if you had to start where I am today? What happens if I do nothing? I thought I was over the tortuous "spread-eagle" position women must endure when having a baby. It's almost more than I can bear and has sent my blood pressure through the roof. Please advise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please post your question to the BCAN member web site (www.inspire.com, or www.bcan.org). You will find an outpouring of support from fellow bladder cancer warriors.

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.