Friday, January 23, 2015

Mets Days 1015: Which MPDL320a trial?

In my discussions this week with Dr. Apolo and Dr. Aragon-Ching, the MPDL3280a study that we were considering was a Phase II single-arm trial (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT02108652), where all patients would receive the MPDL3280a immunotherapy drug. Both Drs. Apolo and Aragon-Ching understood that Georgetown's Lombardi Cancer Center was offering that trial; both of them contacted Dr. Nancy Dawson on my behalf; and yesterday I was scheduled for an appointment with Dr. Dawson  for next Tuesday.

I asked Dr. Dawson's research nurse to email me the clinical trial consent forms so I could review them and compile a list of questions. This morning I started reading through the 40 pages of information, disclosures, warnings, and disclaimers, and was surprised to learn that the clinical trial that Geogetown was running was actually a Phase III double-armed study comparing patients who received MPDL3280a to patients receiving a taxene-based chemotherapy (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT02302807). Half the patients in that trial would be randomized into the chemotherapy arm, and the other half in the MPDL3280a arm.

I have no interest in getting chemotherapy at this time. Been there, done that, got the neuropathy to show it. Maybe at some later point, I'll get a platinum and taxene-based chemo, but only when my tumors are widespread. The Phase III trial chemotherapy arm is only a single-drug regimen, although some would be given vinflunine, and others would get either paclitaxel, or docetaxel. Strangely enough, Georgetown's list of clinical trials for bladder cancer identifies the Phase II trial that I'm interested in, but does not include the Phase III trial. I've sent an email to Dr. Dawson's research nurse seeking clarification, since I don't want to go down the path for randomization into the Phase III chemo arm. Of course, if I randomized into the MPDL3280a arm, that would be just fine. But if Georgetown is also doing the Phase II study, then I'd prefer enrolling in that instead of rolling the dice on randomization.

I did some more digging and found that, aside from Georgetown, the other local medical center that is participating in the Phase II MPDL3280a trial (where everyone gets the drug) is Fairfax Inova. The Phase II trial appears on their list of clinical trials. I called Dr. Alexander Spira, who is heading that study, and spoke with his research nurse, who scheduled me for an appointment next Friday at 2 pm. So it looks like I'll have the choice between MPDL3280a trials.

11 comments:

  1. I am in trials for MP DL 320 A. There are three arms of this trial suten alone, Avastin and the new drug and the new drug by itself. Presently I'm getting Sutent which is disappointing because of the side effects. I have stage 4 kidney cancer, my doctor has told me he had one patient with stage 4 lymphoma who's had complete remission and recently there's a new person on trials one of his patients. Can anyone tell me if there's any updated information regarding the new drug?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now getting the phase 2 drug. will give updates after my first scan. so far no side effects at all, which is surprising because I'm getting Avastin with the experimental drug. in fact I feel better now than I have in months. again diagnosis stage 4 kidney cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have finished my first cycle of 4 treatments on 5/2/15. So far my blood work has improved. Now only trace amounts of blood and protein in my urine and my calcium levels went from 13.1 to 12. Also my white count has steadily gotten higher yesterday's results of 14. Seems pain levels have increased on left side where my kidney is, but believe its the meds working. Scan on 21st will give better info. They say it should look inflamed if med is working but everyone is different. Believe the pain increase is my immune system recognizing the cancer and fighting it. Hope this helps others. Current treatment mpdl320a with avastin. Also fatigue's a huge issue, but no surprise there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doug, my thoughts are with you. I have read your comments, and have some slight understanding of the study. A close friend of mine is about to being the MPDL3280A study next week. These positive posts are wonderful to hear. Prayers that you are getting more positive feedback and still feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why would anyone remove Doug's comments on this sensitive issue? I don't understand that. You could bleep a curse word if that is the problem. A person willing to inform others when in stage 4 of cancer must be allowed to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura, Doug posted the identical comments multiple times. I left the original and deleted the duplicates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can such drugs be also available for some cancer patient in China?

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.