Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mets Day 1163: Today's CT scan: holding steady

This morning I drove up to Baltimore for another CT scan. My clinical trial protocol calls for a CT every six weeks. Today's scan was the fastest yet: I was in and out in less than 45 minutes. This evening JHUH posted the results for my neck. The radiologist wrote:
There is a left level 5 A lymph node measuring 1.3 by 0.6 cm, unchanged compared to prior exam. Additional right level 5 lymph node is identified on series 2 slice 58 measuring 0.7 by 0.6 cm , also unchanged compared to prior exam. Previously seen target left level 5 (slice 79, series 2) and level 4 (slice 90, series 2) nodes and additional small scattered nodes are not significantly changed. No additional enlarged neck lymphadenopathy is identified by size criteria.
It's good news that my tumors have not increased in size. But the fact that they did not further shrink makes my wonder if the nivolumab has had the maximum effect. I guess I'm spoiled after my last two scans showed a 50% reduction, then a 25% reduction, respectively. My next infusion is in a week; I'll ask Dr. Hahn for his thoughts then.

The results for my torso and abdominal CT scans have not been posted. I assume they will show up in the next day or so. I'm not expecting anything significant there, since the prior scans have seen nothing remarkable.

Unrelated to my cancer is the fact that I have a thyroid nodule that is slowly growing in size. It's been noted in my CT scans since 2011. Today's scan measured it at 1.9 cm. If it were to grow a lot more, it could affect my ability to breathe or swallow. But so far it's been so low on the list of things to worry about that I've ignored it. I intend to continue doing so.

3 comments:

  1. Ken, I am far more encouraged by the lack of growth than I am concerned by the lack of shrinkage. Thanks for the update - Nivolumab, keep up the good work while new versions and therapies are primed for more trial and BC approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, this is another vote for Nivolumab. I did not have bladder cancer, only melanoma which had metastasized from my back (original melanoma was surgically removed, followed by radiation) to the right side of my neck. One very large tumor and two smaller ones when I started the Nivolumab-only trial in April. By the forth infusion, the growths were gone and the scans did not find significant melanoma anywhere. Happily, these results significantly exceeded my expectations (not my hopes) and side effects have been minimal. Because everything is so new, I plan to stay with the every-two week cycle for the foreseeable future. Because you're further along in the trial, and came into it with more issues, I really appreciate your blog and the details you provide. If there's something I can do at my end to help, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, your blog is incredibly valuable to me as a new patient. I've learned a lot about what to expect and the options available. I also created a blog just because of how helpful yours was to me. I hope maybe some newbie diagnosed down the road that wants to have a glimpse at what to expect finds as much helpfulness in mine as I do in your.

    Keep up the great work and I am very encourage by your Nivolumab results,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.