Thursday, August 27, 2015

CR Day 65: No Opdivo due to lung congestion

When I had my 13th infusion of nivolumab two weeks ago, I had told Dr. Hahn how I apparently had picked up a cold while flying home from Dubai. He asked me to let him know if my congestion had not gotten better in 7-10 days. Apparently, when nivolumab was first being tested in humans, some early patients developed there were some early problems with pneumonitis, including a couple of deaths. While no definitive link to nivolumab was established, doctors are instructed to keep a close watch on patients who have lung congestion.

Last weekend, I emailed Dr. Hahn and told him that I was still having congestion and a productive cough after 10 days. He scheduled me for another CT scan for this morning, and wanted to see the results before deciding whether I should get my scheduled infusion. The CT scan showed the same level of lung congestion as two weeks ago, with the nodules appearing to be an infection. No increase in size or number of nodules was seen. To be safe, however, Dr. Hahn said that he wanted to hold off on my next round of nivolumab until the infection cleared up. He gave me a scrip for a Z-pack of antibiotics, and we rescheduled my next infusion for Tuesday, September 8. At least I was able to return home ahead of DC's afternoon rush hour.

Meanwhile, I celebrated a quiet 53rd birthday with friends and family. Life's simple pleasures are really the best things. I am richly blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your own brand new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 53rd and many more! There's a wealth of viral bacteria going around, especially in airplanes and in foreign countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing. GPW Law

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.