Monday, November 9, 2015

CR Day 139: Two videos explaining immunotherapy

From time to time I've been asked to explain how Opdivo (nivolumab) works. I usually mumble something about how the drug uses the body's immune system to attack cancers cells by using an anti-PD-L1 mechanism to defeat the cancer cell's defenses. Most people politely nod and have no idea what I'm talking about. Neither do I. But here are a couple of short videos that explain what's going on in lay terms. First, a whiteboard sketch from Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Second, a film from Cambridge University showing killer T cells attacking cancer. There are about 5 million T cells in each teaspoon of blood, and Opdivo gives them the ability to detect and kill cancer cells that previously were ignored because they didn't look like cancer cells. It's amazing to think about everything that is going on inside the human body. I'm glad that my clinical trial has been working n my cancer.

On Saturday, I attended a forum regarding recent advances in immunotherapy, and heard from doctors regarding the latest advancements in fighting cancer. I hope to post a more detailed summary, but their enthusiasm of how we are entering a new stage in defeating cancer was infectious. I am more hopeful now of my long-term prognosis than I ever have been since I was diagnosed with metastatic cancer. I am grateful to the ongoing research efforts and am glad that, by participating in a clinical trial, I might be helping others in the future.

4 comments:

  1. If you are more hopeful...so am I, Ken - Looking forward to that summary, as well as any information you can give regarding how to attend such a forum either in person or online. Thanks for your continued informative presence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, I have been following your story on and off for about two years now. I can't tell you how ecstatic I am that you have had such success in the trial. Thank you so much for all the incredibly valuable information you have provided through your journey. I am so happy to hear there is such optimistic progress being made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, I've been on Opdivo for 4 months now. I had to lay off for 6 weeks due to high liver enzymes. The next CT showed the lung mets (uethelial) still continued to shrink. The bone mets on the other hand, grew totally out of control. My oncologist has no idea why the same cancer in 2 different areas responded so differently. Have you heard of this before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack, Opdivo works on all cancers that are expressing PD-L1. Your bone mets apparently are not presently expressing PD-L1, so those tumors remain invisible to your body's T cells. PD-L1 expression in tumors can come and go, so there still is a chance that your bone mets may later express it and let Opdivo do its thing. Opdivo stays active in the body for up to 90 days after your last infusion.

    Recent studies on combination therapies have suggested that it may be possible to activate PD-L1 expression by adding a CTLA-4 checkpoint inhibitor, such as ipilimumab, or using radiation to target the bone mets. There are added risks in combination therapy, and the data is incomplete, so I'd seek several opinions from NCI centers before going down that path. Good luck and God bless, Ken

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.