Friday, June 29, 2018

Infusion 49: now on 4 week schedule

Earlier this year Bristol-Myers Squibb obtained FDA approval to have nivolumab administered every four weeks, instead of every two weeks. After Dr. Hahn told me that he was dosing virtually all of his patients on a 4 week schedule, I asked my Kaiser doctor whether I could shift to that schedule. She agreed, so today I have my first 4 week dose (a Q4W (480 mg) flat dose). An added benefit is that this Opdivo dose can be administered in 30 minutes instead of an hour, making my infusions not only less frequent but faster. The only downside is that my infusion nap isn't as long. 

Four week intervals also means that scheduling my infusions becomes much simpler, especially because I'm going back and forth between DC and Utah. I fly to Utah on July 2, and will come back with Garrett on July 22. His homecoming will be on July 22 (Scott's Run building at 1 pm, y'all come). I'll have infusion #50 later that week. Then we'll go back to Utah for three more weeks. The week of August 12, we'll return to DC. On Saturday, August 18, I'll drive Garrett up to Pittsburgh so he can move into his dorm at Carnegie Mellon. My baby's going to college! Then I'll have infusion #51 the following week, along with my very last follow-up with Johns Hopkins. Whether I transfer my care to Utah may depend on whether my mets are responding to this treatment. If not, I'll likely pursue clinical trials in the DC area. But I'll worry about that later. I'm simply grateful for each day.

A four-week schedule also means that my blog posts likely will be less frequent, as I try to post when something happens related to my cancer. If you're looking for something else to read, I recommend the following:

Circe by Madeline Miller
Educated by Tara Westover
The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jamison
Book 1: The Fifth Season
Book 2: The Obelisk Gate
Book 3: The Stone Sky
Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel
American War, by El Akkad
The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood
The Sparrow, by  Mary Doria Russell
Children of God, also bt MD Russell
Fourth of July Creek, by Smith Henderson
The Dispossessed, by Ursila Le Guiun

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ken wow you are amazing. Stumbled across your blog accidentally, while I was looking up barium and the Stouder Pouch. My husband had his bladder removed and prostate goes too in 2004. The tumor had just started to reach outside of the bladder, but hadn’t spread. The prostate had a coincidental cancer starting. He goes for a body scan this next week. On the subject of voiding he had developed Pseudomonas at one time and the second time he ended up in the Hospital ICU step down unit. That was maybe 2 years ago. They were thrilled when the labs came back as E Coli. We learned that people have small amounts of those bacteria’s, but because voiding isn’t 100% they can manifest. He had his original urinary diversion at USC Keck. Your blog is good. Best wishes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
      I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
      breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
      her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
      to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
      find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
      the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
      kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
      contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
      cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
      should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
      there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
      and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
      receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
      That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
      transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
      for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
      courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
      before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
      dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
      happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
      million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad,but I don't know why he did not accept the offer,he only said
      I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
      here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
      kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
      Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105,message him on instragram dr.ogididanspelltemple for the cure, he will help you out
      with any problems you have.To get more information you can message me via email robertmary8947@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. This is real take it serious, i am JOHNSON JUDITH i am from Ireland. Who will believe that a herbal medicine can cure cancer, I never believe that this will work, i have spend a lot money getting drugs from the hospital to keep me and my son healthy, it got to a point that i was waiting for death to come because i was broke, one day i heard about this great man called Dr OSE who is well known for Cancer, HIV, and Cancer cure, i decided to email him I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared a herbal medicine (CURE) and, he gave my details to the Courier Office. they told me that 4-8 days I will receive the package and after receiving it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of the two weeks, he told me to go to the hospital for a checkup, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me Cancer negative, and my son and i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital and was also negative, thank you for saving our life's, I promise I will always testify of your good works. If you are cancer patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via: dr.OSEHERBALSPELLHOME@gmail.com or whatsapp him at +2348080488708
      THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr OSE CURE
      . CANCER
      . HIV/AIDS
      . CANCER
      . DIABETIES
      . LASSA FEVER
      . GONORRHEA

      Delete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.