Thursday, May 2, 2019

Infusion 60 and more

I had Opdivo infusion #60 this morning. My labs were normal and I was on the pump for only 35 minutes. I've continued to have no significant side effects - just the ongoing minor rash on my head and calves, and occasional looser bowel movements. I'll take those symptoms over active tumor growth any day.

I neglected to update my last post with the complete CT scan results. Bottom line: no new disease. No active metastatic activity. The supraclavicular node remains unchanged in size (about 2 cm on the short axis). The nodule in my lung is down to 5 mm. So I continue to have stable disease. I'll take those results.

Today, Dr. Maughan raised the possibility of having my superclavicular node treated with cyberknife radiation therapy. Alert readers (hi mom!) may remember that my Kaiser oncologist had proposed that last fall. I had consulted with Drs. Hahn and Apolo, and they both said the same thing: while using radiation to treat metastatic cancer was unusual, given that all of my recurrences have included that same supraclavicular cluster of nodes, neither of them were opposed to the idea. At that time we agreed to table the idea since I was relocating to Utah, and would be continuing my therapy at Huntsman. Seven months later, little has changed. I asked Dr. Maughan about the risks, and he said there was a chance that the radiation could trigger an autoimmune reaction. The odds are low (less than 10%), but worth considering. I said that I'd be interested in hearing what Drs. Hahn and Apolo thought. Dr. Maughan said he would consult with both of them, and if they concurred, he'd refer me to one of the Huntsman radiologists who could discuss the risks with me in greater detail. Sounds like a plan to me.

Utah's first BCAN walk to end bladder cancer is this Saturday. I'm expecting a small turnout since it was planned at the last minute and we have not done much in the way of publicity. But I'm hopeful that we'll lay the foundation for larger walks in the coming years. Maybe I'll post some photos.

In other news, on Tuesday I finally sold my home in Virginia. It took a while and we got less than we were asking for, but that's usually the way it works. I'm glad that Jennifer and I could raise our family there, and I hope the new owners enjoy it. I've moved on. I'm considering building a small home in Huntsville, designed so that Jennifer might eventually be able to safely live there, although she'd likely need ongoing caretaker assistance. I have no idea how long I'll continue to totter on and avoid more metastatic bullets, so I'll just have to figure out what's best for me and my family. Same old story.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are still stable. My husband's scans were good at the second 3 month scans so are moving to 6 months now. Small steps but it sure feels good to get good news for a change. Over a year now since the first surgery and all the problems. So glad he is in remission for now but know that 3a can't be cured. Will enjoy everyday as it comes. Reading your blog gives me great hope that we can buy time. Thank you so much for sharing your journey and encouraging those of us coming behind you and sharing your knowledge. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in, Ken. You look good. I know it must be a relief to have sold the Va house, send me an email and let me know how to reach you. All the best, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on selling your home. We will miss you in the "hood". Good to see photos of Jennifer!
    The Novaks

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.