Sunday, August 4, 2019

Another infusion, and other adventures

Last week I had infusion #63. Except for the tech and nurse blowing three veins before finally getting a return, it was another uneventful day. I've got s couple of purple bruises on my arms as reminders, however. At this point I'm inured to minor things like blown veins or longer waits or other things outside of my control. I believe that almost all people doing health care are trying to do their best, but that no one is perfect all the time. So I roll with it.

Speaking of rolling with it, last week I drove Spencer out to the east end of the Uinta Highline trail where he would embark on a 7 or 8 day hike across the east-west spine of that mountain range:
This map is from alltrails.com, which Spencer uses as one of his guides for hiking.

So we loaded my Fatboy into the truck bed and drove about 4 hours to the trailhead a few miles south of Flaming Gorge Dam. After I dropped him off I drove to the west end of the trail head on Mirror Lake Highway and parked the truck at my in-law's camp site. It was pouring rain as I unloaded the Harley. Fortunately I had brought my leathers and gloves, but unfortunately I had brought by half helmet and goggles instead of my 3/4 helmet with a face shield. I was glad I'd put a windshield on my bike, but I still stopped in Evanston and bought a balaclava. Soaking summer rains in Utah are rare -- it is a desert, after all -- and I think it's the only rainy day we've had so far this summer. But even a rainy day on a motorcycle is a good day, as long as you've got the right gear. (Spencer unfortunately got some bad water on his first day, became violently ill, backtracked and hitchhiked to Vernal and spent several days recovering. He's back on the trail now. He'll blog about his hike here.)

Regarding my plans to build a small house, the county finally certified that the water in the well that we'd had drilled was safe to drink. The same day, the engineer finished work on the structural load calculations for the building plans. That meant I could apply for a building permit, which is now pending. Here's the south elevation:

Here's the main floor plan:


I've taken care to design the house so Jennifer may be able to live there, if she is able, with everything on one floor. I've eliminated all entry steps, thresholds, and possible obstacles. All doors and baths on the main floor and basement are wheelchair accessible. The stairs to the basement and second floor can be locked from each floor, and externally accessed.  The exterior doors can be electronically controlled for access and elopement control. I hope that I will be able to enjoy it, along with my descendants. I enjoy the building process -- the conception, design, materials selection, and overseeing the execution -- as long as I'm not the one swinging the hammer.

4 comments:

  1. Nice house plans. Hope Spencer's hike goes well!! I'll have to check his blog for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken! This is my very first post on a blog. Very inspiring to hear your tremendous progress! My husband also has mets and we’ve been on a roller coaster since January 2017. After his 2nd TURBT and his “then” surgeon telling me everything is fine. I’ve been doing this for 30 years and the cancer is not back. Fast forward to one day later with pathology report confirming stage 2. My husband finally realized it was time to move on.
    God bless Dr Karnes, Dr Toussi and all of the hundreds of people at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. We actually got confirmation of stage 3 so instead of immediately doing surgery chemo was recommended. Post 12 weeks of Gemzar and Cisplatin we traveled back to Mayo for surgery to remove the bladder. But this time they found a pulmonary embolism on his CT urogram and he spent 6 days at St Mary’s where a DVT was also found in his calf. After having to postpone surgery this time because of the need to be put on blood thinner he struggled to get thru 1 of 2 additional cycles of chemo. Finally surgery was performed to save his life. One node tested positive. He’s been taking Ketruda for 8 months with very good results.
    After hearing your journey it’s comforting to know immunotherapy is here to stay! I’m not a medical expert but it’s good to to have this plan due to others that have done clinical trials and made this possible for others. Thank you for everyone in this CA journey. Blessings to you Ken! ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the note. I hope your husband (and you) can enjoy many more years together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU Ken! Me too!!!
    You’re in our thoughts and prayers. ��

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.