Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mets day 699 - Leaking again

My neobladder has started leaking again at night. It's not as bad as it was before I started taking imipramine in May 2012, but it's still no fun to be jolted awake in the middle of the night. I'm not sure what the issue is, or what's different.  I've also noticed that fully emptying the neobladder is more difficult at times. I looked at my paperwork from the hospital, and the warranty on the neobaldder already has expired, so that must be the problem.

Faithful readers will recall that a neobladder is made out of a 2 foot long chunk of colon. It doesn't have the same nerves that a regular bladder has to tell me how full it is. It also doesn't have the same squeezing muscles as does an OEM bladder.  I have gotten pretty good at gauging how full I am, and how to drain myself, but it seems like what I'd been doing isn't working as well now.  It's too early to tell what if anything I need to do differently; right now I'm paying very close attention to what works, and what doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I have another CT scan in a couple of weeks.  We've been waiting on the results of the scan before making any definitive plans for the summer. It's hard to plan ahead when you don't know if you'll be doing more chemotherapy, or having another treatment, or doing nothing.  I've learned to assume nothing, keep a very short horizon, and be grateful for each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.