Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mets Day 712 - Good CT scan results

Today I went to NIH for another CT scan -- I think it's my 12th CT scan since December 2011. I stuck around to meet with Dr. Apolo, and received the results: no further spreading of my cancer was detected. The scan could not tell if the node in my neck was the same size as before, because the scan started about halfway through the node. The radiologist saw no evidence of cancer in my lungs or liver or anywhere else. He did note further deterioration of my spine, which probably is just age-related. Overall, it's as good as one could hope for.

Dr. Apolo advised that I continue to have regular scans every three months or so. She wants to do both a CT and PET scan next time. Those scans probably will be in mid-July. Meanwhile, she said that she saw no need for any chemo or other therapy at this time. I was not disappointed to hear that.

I have learned not to build up any expectations or fears for these CT scans, but to just accept the results to be whatever they are. As a result, I didn't feel a gushing of relief at these results. I did offer a silent prayer of gratitude and thanks, however.

What this tells me is that I won't be out of commission doing chemo in the near future. It means that I can make some travel plans this summer. I'd told Spencer that I'd be willing to join him for a drive out to Colorado or Utah in late May if he gets a job with one of the wilderness programs out there (his applications are pending). Jennifer and I also had made tentative plans with two other couples to travel to Seattle and do an Alaskan cruise in late June. We'll then spend a week or so in Utah in early July. The scan has given us some additional confidence that I'll be able to pull off those travel plans.


2 comments:

  1. Let us know if you stop by SLC - Would love to see you and meet your wife. We could even try to find Mae Miya! Laura and Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. one day at a time my friend, I try to keep my positive attitude at your level

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.