Friday, October 19, 2012

Mets Day 190 - Ambien adjustments

For the past week I've been away from home, providing support to a team of attorneys from my firm in a large patent case. I've had some long days, and am rarely getting more than four hours of sleep. I've tried various doses of Ambien to help me get more sleep. For several days, I'd take 5 mg immediately before bed. Inevitably, I'd wake up when I start to leak, and then would toss and turn and never get back to sleep. I tried taking 10 mg immediately before bed, only to wake up  between 3 and 4 am again. I found it easier to go back to sleep, but when I work up, I felt less energetic than if I just had 4 hours of sleep. I assume I was not getting as much REM sleep than with a lower dose of Ambien. At other times, I've experimented with taking 5 mg immediately before bed, then another 5 mg after I woke up at 3 or 4 am. I found I could go back to sleep for a few more hours, but I felt like I was dragging around all morning.  And I've also experimented with not taking any all.  None is really a satisfactory result.  The experiment continues.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Ken. I know your insights have been invaluable to your team, even though I suspect you think otherwise. Your "average" is everyone else's "outstanding."
    Love,
    Cyn

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.