Saturday, October 13, 2012

Mets Day 184 - trying times

I'm in Norfolk, helping other attorneys from my firm get ready for a big trial.  Since I have pulled back from doing any witnesses or otherwise having a speaking role, my self-described job is to be a a splatter screen, to protect the rest of the team from all of the crap that the other side will be throwing at us.  Several people have asked why I am doing this.  The main reason is out of duty and obligation to my client and co-workers.  I want to see this through.  The fact that my partner personally asked me to be here and assist him played a strong role.  And the fact that my scans were negative clinched the decision.

That's not to say that I was tempted to stay home.  Last Thursday night, Spencer and I spent about 6 hours under our old Ford Explorer, trying to change out the front differential axle.  We discovered it had a large hole in the bottom of it, probably caused by a rock, and all the fluid had leaked out.  I'm no mechanic, but even I could see that was not a good thing.  The seals were also blown; I discovered that after I fabricated a temporary aluminum patch, bolted it into place, and refilled the differential with 75W90.  We were trying to fix the axle so Spencer could drive the Explorer, since he wrecked his Neon the week before (turning left on a yellow light; the guy coming the opposite way sped up to make the light instead of stopping).  At around midnight, we found that the axle gearing was so badly damaged that we could not separate it from the CV joints.  We also figured out that the replacement axle that Spencer got was not compatible, so we packed it in for the night.  I was so exhausted that, when Jennifer and I were saying our nighttime prayers, I could not even form the words to finish a sentence.  Yesterday morning, I was very tempted to not come down to the trial, but duty and obligation won out. 

Trial starts on Tuesday.  It probably will last 2 weeks.  These will be trying times.  I actually enjoy the adrenaline and crucible of jury trials, but then again, I was dropped on my head several times as a child.  Aside from the excellent people with who I get to work, trials are the part of my legal practice that I think will miss the most. 

1 comment:

  1. Your sense of duty here is astounding. Jury trials are most attorneys' nightmares, hard to believe you eat them for breakfast and love the experience. Also telling is the fact that you realize car repair is less about fixing a car than raising a son. Spencer is absorbing all this at 100%, I'm sure. Great example, Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.