Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mets Day 306 - I'm going to be a grandpa!

After sitting on the news for a month, I can now disclose that I'm going to be a grandpa!  Chelsea is due in September, and she and Josh are over the moon with excitement.  Jennifer and I and the rest of the kids are thrilled.  It is wonderful to see your children maturing into parents, and see the cycle of life turning with the creation of a very personal next generation.  No word yet on the gender.  Jennifer said finding out was her incentive to push, but I suspect Chelsea and Josh will want to find out so they know which color stuff to get.

Chelsea and Josh are considering whether they want to move into our basement apartment and sell or rent their Arlington condo.  I think that they are balancing their desire for independence and privacy, which I fully understand and agree with, as well as their close-in location, against the cost savings and convenience of having family one floor away.  We've told them that they are more than welcome, and are happy to abide by whatever ground rules they want to set.  

This exciting news has helped me adjust to my newfound status of tired retired.  Apart from my ongoing dabbling in the law, I've been filling my days by reading (a friend recommended Robert Jordan's Wheel 14 volume Wheel of Time series; I'm in volume 5 and still trying to decide what I think about the series); planning travel (a trip to Utah in early March, then to Florida in late March, then our Europe trip this summer); church-related work (I'll be doing regular volunteer work at our church's Washington Temple in Kensington MD); and mostly ignoring Jennifer's honey-do list of home projects.  If Chelsea and Josh decide to move in, I'd have a bit more incentive to work on that home project list.  Motivation is a good thing.

Did I mention that I'm going to be a grandpa?  Yay!

4 comments:

  1. It makes me happy to read about your happiness. Grandchildren are a sweet blessing. It is a fine thing to be part of their lives.

    I didn't realize how fine until we had our first, about a eighteen months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mazel Tov! That's wonderful news. I trust Jen has explained that you are the retired one, so when budding medical and legal careers require lots of help with child care . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder Brothers! Elder Doug Wilson here, just reminiscing of our times in New Jersey and reading your blog. I'm am saddened by the trial that you have had to endure and yet inspired by your writings. I have vivid memories of your writing abilities, especially your poetry, that I read while we were missionary companions. Congratulations on your forthcoming grandchild. They are a blessing. I have two grandkids, they are full of energy and life. I admire your ability to stay in touch with old friends, I have not kept up as well as I would like. Thanks for the Christmas card. If you come out West and happen to be in Southern Utah, drop by. I would love to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just saw this, and I am SO HAPPY (!!!) for your entire family. I bet you and Jennifer are thrilled. I hope Chelsea is feeling well. What a joy that that your kids are so close by and you can be a part of this new life. Wonderful news: thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.