Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Mets Day 658 - Do I believe in magic?

I recently finished reading a book by an MD named Paul A. Offit, titled "Do You Believe In Magic?  The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine".  Dr. Offit is a vigorous advocate of evidence-based medicine, and says that there is no such thing as alternative medicine.  Instead, he says there is only medicine that has been proven to work (of which he is a strong advocate), and medicine that doesn't. 

Dr. Offit savages celebrity-driven nontraditional "cures", repeatedly demonstrating how supposed "treatments" pitched by idiots such as Suzanne Somers, Jenny McCarthy, and Mehmet Oz are ineffective and even dangerous.  He debunks the megavitamin movement, citing dozens of studies.  Of the 51,000 or so different types of herbal supplements on the market, he says that perhaps four have been shown to actually have a beneficial effect.  He tears apart the charlatans who claim that they can cure cancer through any number of unproven treatments, sucking tens of thousands of dollars from families seeking hope in the face of death. 

He looks at a number of alternative medical approaches, and acknowledges that some studies have shown that there can be a positive effect from things like acupuncture or "new age" medicines or "Vitamin O" (a type of salt) or the like.  He attributes those positive effects to the placebo effect:  For example, numerous studies have shown that people who think they are getting acupuncture but instead have had retractable needles that don't penetrate skin report the same level of positive results as those who had real acupuncture.  Not surprisingly, studies have shown that, if you put someone in a calm environment with soothing music and someone uttering comfortable words, they are calmer, regardless of whether they are handling crystals or synchronizing their energies or whatever. 

Although Dr. Offit lumps prayer into his collection of unproven medical treatments, he doesn't spend much time attacking people of faith.  Probably a smart move on his part, since a wide majority of Americans believe in an omnipotent God.  I do.  As I read Offit's book, I paused to consider the question of whether I equated faith in God with magic.  I readily acknowledge that religious faith is non-rational, that is, matters of faith are not susceptible to traditional scientific proofs.  It's called faith for a reason. 

The difference is that I do not regard my faith in God to be a substitute for working with doctors on a treatment for my cancer.  God gave us brains and the ability to use them for a reason, and so we should.  Jennifer and I pray daily that my cancer will not spread, and that my days of mortality can be prolonged, as long as it is consistent with His will.  The hand of the Lord is evidenced in many ways, most especially through the actions of others -- including my doctors.  In no way is my faith an alternative treatment for my cancer. My faith guides me in all of my actions, and my health care is one small portion of that. 

I understand how a nonbeliever can dismiss religious faith as a form of magic.  For Dr. Offit, the key distinction appears to be that as long as a patient's faith does not impede the pursuit of evidence-based medicine, then a patient can do whatever he or she wants.  I know that I have received great comfort from my faith, and that I have been better able to bear the burdens of my disease with the belief that there is a God who know me, cares for me, and loves me as His own son. 

3 comments:

  1. Love your attitude!!!
    Love you! You are in our prayers!!!!
    Jamie and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ken, I've been reading your blog since shortly after I was diagnosed about a year ago with what ended up being Stage 3/4 high grade bladder cancer. My story is a good one so far after RC and post surgical Gem-Cis I'm still clear. I wanted to thank you for your blog as it sharpened my focus on getting the surgery fast before the cancer got to my lymph nodes. I found a good surgeon that agreed with the surgery first approach and I'm happy with the outcome. I'd like to correspond with you via email to discuss your and my experiences. Thanks again for sharing your story and potentially saving my life. Please contact me via: sendmeadds@yahoo.com (junk mail account) and I'll respond with my good account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good stuff, thanks for taking the time to share, any crumbs at times like these are nectar of the Gods

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.