Tuesday, August 2, 2016

CR 407: Excellent NY Times story on immunotherapy

On July 30 the Grey Lady published an excellent story exploring the rapid rise of immunotherapy to treat metastatic cancer. The Times also included a helpful primer explaining the basics of immunotherapy. Included in the main story are several patients with bladder cancer who were similarly situated to me. Discussing one mets BC patient who started on Opdivo about 7 months before me: 
In June 2014, Mr. Wight became one of the first patients with bladder cancer at M.D. Anderson to enter a study of two checkpoint inhibitors. For three months he received Yervoy and Opdivo every two weeks, and then continued with only Opdivo.
The tumor under his kidney shrank, then disappeared. It has been gone for a year and a half, and he has had no other signs of cancer. He is still receiving Opdivo — the reason for his regular trips to Houston.
“I’m very fortunate,” Mr. Wight said. “It has for me a single irritating side effect. It makes me itch like you wouldn’t believe. I itch all the time but it’s a small price to pay to stay alive and be feeling pretty well.”
An antihistamine helps. Regarding how long he will keep being treated, he said: “It’s experimental. You don’t know the answer. As long as I have positive results I’m eligible for the treatment.”
His oncologist, Dr. Siefker-Radtke, called his response to immunotherapy “fantastic” and said other patients, also in complete or partial remission, were flying or driving to Houston for treatments every two or three weeks. Many do not want to stop taking the drugs.
But doctors do not know how long the treatments should continue. They wonder how long the remissions will last, and whether some will even turn out to be cures, Dr. Siefker-Radtke said. Some studies were planned to last just a year or two, longer than the life expectancy of most patients with advanced disease. Researchers did not think they would have to decide whether to keep treating people for years.
“We were not expecting to see patients going this long,” Dr. Siefker-Radtke said.
I'm in the same boat. I'd like to know wonder how long the remission will last, and whether mine will turn out to be a cure. I'll just keep on puttering along as long as I can go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.