Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mets Day 241 - This and that

A number of people have reached out to me in response to my musings after Tuesday's negative scans.  Three commiserated with my realization that my traditional frame of reference for major life decisions was no longer relevant.  One advised me to accelerate my life, and do more of the things that I have deferred.  My mom told me about her brother, who has debilitating neuropathy and is unable to move, which puts my problems in perspective.  My brother-in-law told me to pull me head out of my butt. 

In two weeks, I'll be traveling with the whole family to Costa Rica.  We'll spend two weeks there.  Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice.  (Who said it, what song?) Jennifer and I have been taking about going to Costa Rica for years, and while I was slowly recuperating from the surgery over the summer, we started planning it out.  All the stars aligned with being able to get all four kids and the son-in-law available for two weeks.  We toyed with the idea of an African safari, but once we saw the cost for 7 people, we decided Costa Rica sounded much more reasonable. 

Still no decision from the insurance companies.  I've been deferring a decision on my work until I get the disability decision.  I've sent them all of my medical records, five years of my federal tax returns, and everything else that they've asked for.  Earlier this week, my firm's HR department told me that the firm was changing its policies regarding partners continuing to be eligible for health insurance.  Previously, a partner had to work at least 50% to be eligible for ongoing insurance.  Now, as long as I remain a partner with the firm, I retain eligibility to keep buying the firm's health insurance.  That gives me more flexibility. 

No progress on the nighttime incontinence front.  Dr. Plimack at Fox Chance recommended that I seriously consider having my neobladder changed to an ileal conduit.  That would give me nighttime continence, but would have me wear an external bag for life.  People who have it get used to it quickly, and I'm sure I would too, but I'm going to wait a bit before I go down that path. 

I'm finding that Lunesta is working a bit better than Ambien.  Sometimes I don't get to sleep as quickly as I'm used to.  I wake up at around 4 am to empty my bladder, but am still leaking.  I usually manage to go back to sleep for a bit. A good night is more than 5 hours total.  The most noticeable difference on Lunesta is that I don't feel as drugged in the mornings. 

4 comments:

  1. Three Dog Night....Never been to Spain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right decade, wrong band, Robin. But seriously, folks, can anyone guess the album title?

      Delete
  2. I cheated and looked it up :)

    "Life's Been Good" is a 1978 song by Joe Walsh, which first appeared on the soundtrack to the film FM. It was released as a single and appeared on Walsh's album "But Seriously, Folks...." It peaked at #12 on the US Billboard Hot 100,[1] remaining his biggest solo hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of my life philosophy is distilled in that song. "I can't complain but sometimes I still do" is one of the best lines from late 70's rock. Likewise, "lucky I'm sane after all I've been through" gets truer each day. To paraphrase another line from the same song, "My Audi S4 does 185. I got some cancer, now I don't drive" (so fast anyway). And, of course, "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time/I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime/Life's been good to me so far."

      Delete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.