Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mets Day 245 - Sandy service

I have been asked by my local church leaders to coordinate the volunteer efforts of our church congregations who want to go back up to New Jersey and muck out basements flooded by Hurricane Sandy.  What better way to spend a weekend?  Incredibly, there are a large numbers of people who want to do so, all on their own dime.  My job is to put together all of these volunteers, appoint a captain of teams of 10, can captains of 50, and captains of 100 (not that we'll have that many going this weekend).  As I wrote the others, "We're all volunteers here, so keep you expectations low, especially of me."

So far, my efforts have consisted of a number of emails and phone calls.  I can do this.  It's like the person who asked me knew that sitting in front of a computer and giving orders and organizing information was something that I have done once or twice before in my life.  Maybe I learned something useful while practicing law after all.  I just regret that I can't go back up this weekend, as I have another long-standing commitment, plus Jennifer and I have just started to come down with colds.

What I find most impressive is that people living comfortable cosseted lives and preparing for the holidays, are willing to drop everything, drive for hours, spend a day shoveling muck out a perfect stranger's basement for free, then drive back home.  The desire to serve others needs to be constantly nourished, especially in our youth.  Empathy, karma, selflessness, physical exercise, joy in serving:  There is no better gift anyone can give. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.