Friday, April 12, 2013

Mets Day 365 - First anniversary of my mets diagnosis

365 days have passed since I had the CT scan that showed my cancer had spread outside of my bladder.  There was a period of time that I wondered if I would see this milestone.  My odds of survival gradually creep higher with each day, but they are still long.  I have been liberated by letting go of my cancer battle, and placing my life in the hands of the Lord.  I no longer worry about whether I will have secondary tumors form.  If it happens, so be it. Cancer does not govern my life.

I still struggle with the side effects of my balky neobladder. Unlike cancer, I have not surrendered with regard to therapy for my neobladder and incontinence, because there is still some medical options for addressing that. Perhaps that reflects the limits of my faith -- only when there is nothing more that man can do, do I place my trust in God.  If that is true -- and I'm still pondering it -- it shows how weak my faith really is, and how much more I need to grow. 

I am grateful for each day, and for my new perspective on living.  I would like to say that ever minute of every day is well-spent, but that would not be accurate.  I still watch ESPN on occasion, and at times have not shown my gratitude to family, friends, and colleagues. I try to be more mindful, but it is so easy to slip into old habits.  I find my muscle memory to be surprising -- I would have expected that cancer would have ingrained a mightier change upon my soul.  It is more accurate to say that living with cancer continues to teach me lessons that I am still learning.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing attitude. You are such a great example. We pray for you daily. We love you and hope that your neobladder issues can be resolved soon.
    Love,
    Jamie and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Ken. Could it be that your faith -- just as strong -- is reflected in your trust that God can guide your caregivers to find a way to help you with the incontinence? You have, in this instance too, put it in God's hands. You aren't railing against the heavens; you are a man searching for help where help is to be had.
    You know the joke about the guy who is shipwrecked on the desert island who beseeches God for help. The man has rejected an offer of rescue from the yacht passing by, the native canoe passing by and the helicopter that hovers overhead, assuring all of them that God will help him. And we know what God tells the guy. Ken, you'll never be that guy.
    Hang in there, my friend --
    Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken,
    I came across your blog and wanted to thank you for sharing. My father was just diagnosed with BC - he is seeing Gary Steinberg. I had a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering.
    1. Did you like your experience with Dr. Steinberg?
    2. Would you recommend the Neo Bladder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! My name is Lucia and for my high school science project I am working on the linkage between hope and cancer. I would appreciate if you could fill out this confidential survey. It would help a lot. Thank you!
    http://www.surveytool.com/s/SA4FC0F46D

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.