Saturday, September 14, 2013

Mets Day 520 - Officially a Grandpa

Yesterday afternoon my 25 year old daughter, Chelsea, gave birth to her first child, and my first grandchild.  My granddaughter is has a big head (of course), a strong cry, and a piercing stare.  All is well with everyone involved. 

Chelsea and I had agreed that during the actual delivery, only the doctor, her husband, and Jennifer should be present.  I sat in the room but on on the other side of curtain, and listened, as the doctor was giving instructions, Jennifer was counting, Josh was reassuring his wife, and Chelsea was alternating between pushing and catching her breath.  I had a quiet conversation with God as this went on for about an hour.  I realized that, in many ways, the curtain was like a veil separating me from my family.  I could sense their presence, send my prayers and light and love to my daughter, and experience the event, but I was not physically present.

Death will be like this, I believe.  My soul, and all that I am, will continue on.  I will not be physically present, but still will be in their presence, will be able to send my prayers and light and love to my family, and experience their joy and sorrows.  As Sullivan Ballou wrote to his wife the week before he died in the first battle of Bull Run, "I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights . . . always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. [D]o not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again."

Holding my granddaughter, I felt great joy and rejoicing in my posterity.  The next generation of my family has started.  Life continues on. 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Grandpa! I want some details....like her name! glad everyone is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Ken. I'm sure your family takes comfort in sharing your view of passing.

    For now, though, congratulations! We look forward to meeting Hope whenever Mom says they are ready for company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I mean Rose (eeks.)--Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - and what a wonderful experience for you and your family. Your posts have been so inspirational and insightful to me and my family - and have been shared on more than one occasion in a lesson or conversation. Blessing to you and your family Ken. You are, and always have been, an incredible person.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just happened to open your blog today, to read of the procedures you have decided to do, and to this wonderful news of your grandchild. I think your description of the veil is spot-on. I have read again and again that we cannot see all of the family members cheering for our success and feeling sorrow when we are experiencing hardship or sadness. If only we could see this life is not the beginning or the end, surely we would have greater hope and faith. Congratulations on your grandchild, enjoy all those sweet moments with her. Love to you and to your family. Lori

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.