Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mets Day 978: Gross hematuria

For the past few days I've had gross hematuria - visible blood in my urine - every time that I have voided. It's usually bright red blood that accompanies the initial flow of urine and mucus that a neobladder generates. Yesterday I was also feeling like I had some cramps, and a little better understanding of how women periodically feel. I reached out to Dr. Trinity Bivalacqua at Johns Hopkins, who was the last doctor to do a cystoscopy on my neobladder, to request an appointment. After some checking, I was told that the next available appointment two months away. Wow. So I called Dr. Harold Frazier, who I had also seen in 2012, but was told by his scheduler that, without specific instructions from the doctor, I would have to have an office appointment before a cystoscopy.

So this morning I sent the following to my oncologist:
Dr. Aragon-Ching:

For the past several days, I have had gross hematuria nearly every time that I void. The blood is bright red and usually in the initial spurt of mucus from the neobladder. I have called Dr. Trinity Bivalacqua at Johns Hopkins, and have been told that he would like to do a cystoscopy, but according to his scheduler, his first available appointment is not until February 10. The scheduler is looking for an earlier time slot. In the meantime, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

1. Should I try to have Dr. Hal Frazier of GW MFA look at me? I called his scheduler but was told that she could not schedule a cystoscopy unless he had ordered it. I left a detailed message with his nurse, noting that you were my oncologist. If appropriate, would you please send him a note?

2. Should I continue with the Xeralto? Should I divide the pill in half and take each half 12 hours apart?

3. Is there anything else that I should be doing? I have been staying hydrated.

Thank you for your continuing care.



She replied in just an hour so so as follows: 
Hi Mr. Brothers,

I think hold the Xarelto for now over the next couple of days to see if it eases up...I shall pass along your message to Dr. Frazier as well...Please do stay hydrated...

jba
Looks like it might be a red Christmas . . .

1 comment:

  1. I hope it's just the Xarelto and that all the "red" in your Christmas is on your Christmas tree!

    Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.