Friday, December 26, 2014

Mets Day 987: Merry Bloody Christmas

A couple of days ago Dr. Aragon-Ching suggested that I restart the Xarelto, which I did on Christmas Eve. Sure enough, on Christmas Day, I had blood in my urine. We've clearly established cause and effect. So it was a red Christmas after all.

I have an appointment at NIH's chief urologist next Tuesday afternoon. I assume that he'll do an cystoscopy and check the condition of my neobladder. I am to skip my Xarelto dose on Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully he'll be able to assess the condition of my neobladder, and how serious the lesions. It's unlikely that the bleeding is caused by cancer in the neobladder, but is instead just a side effect of the Xarelto. I suspect we'll consider alternative blood thinners.

Several people have shared with me their experience with warfarin. I understand that NIH is not a fan of using warfarin with patients with metastatic cancer, because it carries with it a significantly increased number of side effects and complications (some of which are summarized in this Medscape article). I'm not sure what the doctors will recommend, so I'll just wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.