Friday, January 27, 2012

Chemo port placement

This morning I went to GW hospital and had a port placed in my chest, which will make the delivery of chemotherapy much easier and far fewer blown veins and looking like a drug user.  See Wikipedia for details.  Unlike my TURBTs where I was totally sedated, for this I had "twilight sedation" - no intubation, but I'd be feeling no pain.  Sure enough, as soon as they turned up the drip, I could hear the voices talking, but had no sense of time, and really didn't care what was happening to my body.  After a few minutes, the drip stopped, and I asked how long it had been - it was more than an hour!  The nurse told me that I should "not make any legal decisions today, or even send work emails."  Sounded like CYA to me.  I decided I'd listen to my body, and felt pretty good as I left the hospital.  I walked to my office, had two conference calls and two meetings, and of course sent dozens of emails.  Yes, I was tired when I got home, but I'm that kind of patient.

2 comments:

  1. I just read through your whole blog. As your mom I have felt a piercing pain in my heart for all that you have had to endure and the long road ahead of you to conquer this illness. But conquer you will! I admire your extensive research on this illness, your courage and complete acceptance of this trial.
    I want you to know that I am so extremely proud of the man of faith you
    are. Both Ralph and I want to stand by you and support you in every way we can. We love you and wish you the best as you begin the chemo treatments tomorrow. Our prayers in behalf of you will be constant.
    Stay strong, dear son of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to break it to you, Ken, but that stuff about "hear the voices" and "no sense of time" ... those WERE the meetings and conference calls.

    Love and Laughter and Light always and forever- cyn

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.