Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chemo day 2 - run baby run

Everyone stressed that I should drink as much as I could in the first 72 hours following chemo.  You don't want that cisplatin staying in the kidneys any longer than necessary.  So in addition to the two or three liters of fluid in the IV's that I received yesterday, I slugged back 4 liters of Powerade Zero.  Fortunately my bladder has mostly recovered from the second TURBT, and it doesn't hurt as much to expand or squeeze, because I am giving it a real workout, including in the middle of the night.  Given the choice between getting up every 2 hours and having undamaged kidneys, I choose to stand up for my body. 

I wonder if chemo interferes with REM sleep.  Usually I recall my dreams, but not last night.  All my cells (not just the cancer cells) are fighting off the drug-induced inability to reproduce, so maybe they didn't go into full sleep mode.  In any event, I woke up at about 5 am and could not go back to sleep.  I lounged in the hot tub and watched the sun rise while nursing another liter of Powerade, then decided if I should do some work while I can. 

The anti-nausea drugs appear to be working.  I occasionally feel a slight rolling in my GI tract, but nothing threatens to make an unwelcome appearance.  A friend brought over a wonderful meal last night, so I enjoyed a dinner with my family and had a healthy appetite.  Enjoy it while it lasts, I tell myself.  After my cancer diagnosis I stopped my diet (right before Thanksgiving), and I have added more than 10 pounds during the holiday feasting.  I rationalized that I'll be rid of it soon enough.

I do have a quandry, however.  I have been told that I might have to avoid my favorite foods during chemo, because the association of those foods while feeling nauseated might create a permanent aversion to those foods.  So, should I force myself to each fresh baked, warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies during chemo, and thereafter be forever sickened at the sight?  As those cookies are my primary drug of choice, I suspect it might be a good thing to do.  But it would be a huge sacrifice.  I'm not sure if I can do it. 


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing better than some. That's wonderful. You are in our prayers.
    Love
    Jamie and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is most informative and very re-assuring. Occasionally we LOL when you humor breaks through. Very entertaining yet it remains highly personal. We really appreciate being kept so informed. We would like to call you but will wait for you to call us rather than disturb you if you're resting.
    Give Jennifer and the kids our love, you know that if you need us to come we will be there on the next plane out.
    All our love and blessings from on High.
    Mom and Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. All our love and prayers. We appreciate being able to share in your experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.