Friday, January 27, 2012

How to help

In response to multiple inquiries from family and friends on how they can best help, I shared the following:

1.  A family meal delivered each Monday afternoon/evening (I'll be getting chemotherapy each Monday, and a chemo session can take hours.  Jennifer will be with me, and not having to worry about a meal that evening would be most appreciated).  We're being told that my meals should be high in protein and with lots of fruits and vegetables; capable of being eaten in smaller portions as my appetite will come and go depending on my nausea and how much damage the chemo does to the lining of my stomach; the meals should avoid spicy foods, red meats, processed sugar, or high carbs. 

2.  In the event of heavy snow, having people to come as help the boys shovel, as I likely will be rather weak for the next few months. 

3.  I will be at increased risk of infection while having chemo.  I don't know how it will be possible, but it would help if people at church would be even more vigilant of good hygiene, e.g., frequent washing of hands, use of hand sanitizer (maybe have some sanitizer bottles available in the foyers, classrooms, etc.).  We're doing this at home, and will be encouraging visitors likewise to be mindful. 

4.  Continued ward support of my family.  Individual meaningful invitations to Garrett, Kirsten, and Spencer to spend some one-on-one time with peers or mentors, and giving them an opportunity to express themselves without pushing.  Also, occasional thoughtful cards or other expressions of love and concern to each family member are appreciated.  Those tender mercies can make amazing differences in our moments of sorrow. 

5.  Most importantly, fervent prayer and faith, for it is the Lord who is preserving me from day to day, by lending me breath, that I may live and move and do according to my own will, and even supporting me from moment to moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.