Friday, April 27, 2012

Mets day 16 - so many logistics, so little time

Logistics for the surgery are coming together.  The insurance company has authorized the surgery, and the hospital has all of the information from Hopkins, GW, and my primary care physician.  I go under the knife at 9:45 am on May 2.  Jennifer and Chelsea will be there; one of them will update this blog until I am ready to take back the keyboard. 

I'm excited to be moving forward with this.  It's good to have a goal, and to identify the interim steps leading up the the objective.  Break it down, plan it out, move forward. 

Finding lodging for Jenifer and Chelsea is another matter.  As my travel office advised me: "With regret, it would appear that several conventions are creating what amounts to be a sell out, citywide.  I do not see anything close to  the location you mention, as being available for an extended period."  Among others, NATO is having its 2012 Convention in Chicago in May.  Don't they know that something more important is going on, namely, my surgery?  How rude of them!

The American Cancer Society has special arrangements with several hotels, but most were sold out.  The ACS managed to arrange a room at the Westin on Michigan Ave for $50/night (usually around $400), but the place is sold out through May 9.  We have a reservation starting on May 9.  Finding a place for Jennifer for the fist 9 days has been tough - there is very little in Hyde Park.  I finally found an Extended Stay America near Midway that had space available the first week of May.  Then a friend told Jennifer about a group of monks of the Augustine Order that had rooms available near U. Chicago.  That idea appealed to Jennifer.  I'll be in the hospital, I said, so suit yourself.  Either way, I think we're covered.

I've also been advised that Dr. Steinberg wants me to stay in the Chicago area for up to three weeks after I'm released from the hospital.  I will be released with at least two, and possibly three, drains from my body - a blake drain from my abdomen, a foley catheter, and a suprapubic tube (or SPT).  The purpose of the blake drain is to drain excess fluid from the surgical area and to monitor the amount and type of drainage coming from the surgical area.  It will be removed first.  Next is the foley, which drains urine through the urethra.  That stays in for a week to 10 days after discharge, then is removed, and I get to learn how to pee again.  Last is the SPT, which stays in for another week to 10 days after the foley is removed.  It also drains urine from the neobladder, and also is used to flush the neobladder.  The surgeon won't want me to go home until the foley is out and he knows I can pee.  He'll probably be ok with Dr. Schoenberg removing the SPT.  I'll also be learning to control my urine flow by doing kegels.  Every mother who is reading this is nodding her head.  I'm with you, sister.  



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.