Thursday, November 14, 2013

Mets Day 582: Of wills and shortness of breath

Yesterday Jennifer and I executed a series of documents to update our estate plans:  wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney, and medical directives.  We hadn't done anything since we created our first wills back in 2000, and those documents were outdated from both a tax planning issue and for who would be caring for our kids.  It was good to have that done. 

I've slowly been getting better, but noticed that my level of energy is quickly sapped.  For example, this morning Spencer and I were doing a little bit of cleanup in the yard, and after about 10 minutes I was short of breath.   It was like I could not fill my lungs.  I felt that way after chemo, but it was a painful reminder that I'm still in recovery mode.  I'm maybe at 50% of normal capacity. 

I'm so glad that I didn't do the 4th round yesterday.  The idea of spending another day getting poisoned was nauseating.  The cumulative effects of the ddMVAC chemo on my system are ongoing; I only hope that I can slowly regain my strength and have a little bit more endurance.  I'm grateful that I can have the next couple of months to enjoy my family and the holidays, without worrying about whether I can shuffle from the bed to the chair, or wondering if my bowels are working.  It's good to be grateful for the little joys in life. 

1 comment:

  1. Ken: I really appreciate your blog and sharing your experiences. I always looked up to you and knew you were a great man. Now you have conclusively confirmed my earlier judgment. I hope never to be tested the way you have been but if I am, I will feel good about myself if I have half the humor and determination you have. I have sent you a couple of emails but must not have your current email. We are now living in Buenos Aires where I serve as South America South Area Counsel. Please shoot me an email if you would like another pen pal. Best, Craig cgalli@ldschurch.org

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.