Thursday, November 28, 2013

Mets Day 596 - Giving Thanks

I told the family that this might be the last Thanksgiving that all of us are together -- not because of my cancer (although that is a reality), but because Chelsea, Josh and Rose may move to Utah next summer, and it would be unlikely that they would fly back to DC for Thanksgiving, or all of us would go out there.  Perhaps because of that, it was a very mellow holiday.  We played several family games, Josh made creamed carrots, candied yams, and homemade rolls, Jennifer did her usual great job with the turkey and stuffing, and we enjoyed our meal.  We watched some football, talked, took turns holding Rose, and felt the triptophan kick in. 

We have a Thanksgiving tradition of going around the table with each person naming something for which they are thankful.  No one can repeat something that has already been said, and the first one unable to say anything or give up has to do the dishes.  It's a great way to hear what each family member comes up with:  everything from God and the Plan of Salvation, to fractals and hot water.  I was interested to hear that there were far fewer naming of tangible things, and a more frequent naming of relationships and intangible things.  Stuff does not make us happy; it is the love and friendship that comes of long-lasting and trusting human bonds.   I am thankful for my wife, my children, my son-in-law and granddaughter; my extended family; my friends; my faith; and each day that my life is prolonged. 




1 comment:

  1. My husband also has bladder cancer. Found June of '13. Upstaged at time of surgery 11-4-13 t3a n2 mo . Now her2 positive,found out yesterday. We are finding the strength in the Lord. Thank you for the blog. My prayers also for your wife. Donna Mc Quiggan

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.