Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chemo Day 3 - waiting for the crash

I drank 5 liters of Powerade yesterday, so any chance of an uninterrupted sleep was as likely as Newt checking his ego.  I woke up at 5 am again and couldn't go back to sleep, so I read a bit, checked emails and news on the iPad, then rolled over at 6 am, and the next thing I knew it was 930 am!  That is most unusual for me.  I guess this is what it means to listen to your body.

My nausea is still in check with the help of the drugs.  After I took my first big slug of Powerade this morning, I felt a violent roll of my stomach.  Ok, I'll sip and be more careful. 

I felt well enough to go into work for a bit.  It is a warm winter day in DC, nearly 70 degrees, so I dropped the top on the S4 and enjoyed the sun on my face.  Taking pleasure in the small things helps. 

I am continually grateful for the ongoing well-wishes of my family, friends, and colleagues. One colleague sent a large shipment of Omaha Beef dinners, enough to make several meals, and my firm is arranging for a catered meal to be delivered tonight.  Jennifer took the leftover turkey from Monday and made it into a hearty soup that we ate last night.  So far, I have no appetite problems -- I'm wondering when the weight loss is going to happen. Several accounts describe how chemo patients feel good for the first 48 hours, then crash as the initial dose of anti-nausea drugs and steroids wear off.  Maybe I'll crash tonight, or tomorrow, or not at all.  The doctors and nurses stress flexibility, so I'm taking it a day at a time.  

Thank you all for your ongoing support!  I hope this blog is doing its intended purpose.  I find it therapeutic to chronicle my thoughts and feelings during this time.  I found great comfort in a similar blog created in 2011-11 by a Wisconsin resident who had muscle-invasive bladder cancer, TURBT, chemo, then a radical cystectomy and neobladder.  If my blog can help others in the future, it's well worth it. 

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it marvelous to savor each moment while you still feel relatively well? So far so good, son! Keep it up!
    It was good to talk to both Kirsten and you yesterday. Thanks for calling, it really made my day!
    We just arrived at the Orlando apt. and I just had to check the blog for news before we are off to the temple. Hope the rest of your day will go well.
    Love you much!
    Blessings, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Silicon Valley.

    This blog you've put together is a powerful chronicle of your experience. I am sure that it will help others as much as -- if not more -- than it has helped you through the process. The humour that shines through each entry is inspiring.

    Danielle and I wish you the best. You are and will be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope you do not "crash", we are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.