Sunday, July 29, 2012

Mets Day 108 - Apostolic well-wishes

Today I received some words of comfort from Elder Neil Anderson, who is a senior LDS church leader with the title of apostle.  Elder Anderson came to our congregation's regular meeting and spoke -- a relatively uncommon event for an apostle.  During the next hour of our church meeting, I led the discussion in the adult Gospel Doctrine class, drawing upon some of the teachings of Elder Anderson.  Someone mentioned my condition to Elder Anderson, and he came into my class, apologized for interrupting, then proceeded to offer me some words of comfort, concluding with his expression that he felt that I would be blessed by the Lord. 

I was surprised and unprepared for Elder Anderson's personal visit, and appreciate that he took the time to seek me out.  Having reached a point where the doctors admit that they do not know how to heal me, my journey with cancer now has me walking in a field of faith.  The love and support of family, friends, and fellow persons of faith make a very real difference in my life.  A brief word of support, or a note that someone has been thinking about me, or has been praying to the Lord on my behalf, is touching.  I am so grateful for those well-wishes. 

Some people have told me, or have told others who have in turn told me, that they do not know what to say to me, or are afraid that they might say the wrong thing, so they say nothing.  Do not be silent to your friends or loved ones who you know are facing hard times.  A few words of support, or a hug, or a note or email, or similar expression, can make a huge difference.  There's no need to ask how I'm doing -- if you are reading this blog, you'll know -- so instead, just show that you care, just as Elder Anderson did. 

After all I and the doctors can do, all I am left with is family, friends, and faith.  Faith is a moving power, and the collective hope for healing helps to sustain me.  I believe that it is important to speak up, to show that you care, to reach out and show that neither you nor your loved on is alone.  That single comment or well-wishing can make all the difference to one in need.    


3 comments:

  1. Ken,
    Know I care--every day, every minute. You are one of the most remarkable people I know. Through this all, your friendship is one of my greatest blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken - You've been in my prayers daily - every time I see your blog - and are also on our church's prayer list. Like you I do believe in the sustaining power of love, faith and prayers -- so good to know of this visit from your elder. Sending all kinds of love to you and also to Jennifer and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an amazing experience for you. This can be a solid ray of hope, one that is sure. I am glad you are doing better. You are in our daily family and personal prayers.
    Love you!
    Jamie and family

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.