Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mets Day 90 - got my man card back

For the past 3 weeks or so, I have been unable to pee standing up.  Apparently the bacteria infection in my neobladder kept it from contracting enough to squeeze out much urine.  The best I could do was to sit on the toilet for a while and hoped something would dribble out.  I have documented that it is possible to read the entire Washington Post in one sitting.  Nighttime was the most common time for my urine to greet the outside world, usually soaking through whatever getup I was wearing. 

After 10 days on Cipro, this morning I was able to pee standing up.  Weeee!  I felt the testosterone surging through my body.  I wanted to go out and kill something and eat it, or spit off a tall building, or get lost and not ask for directions.  I am a manly man!

This afternoon or evening Jennifer and I will drive up to Philadelphia.  We'll spend most of the day at Fox Chase.  We'll sign all the clinical trial forms, then I'll have a MUGA scan to make sure my heart is still working.  I'll be given a tasty barium drink, wait a while, then have the CT scan on my chest, abdomen and pelvis.  We'll probably be at Fox Chase for most of the day. 

I looked into seeing if we could go visit the Barnes Museum while we were in town, but all the tickets for today and tomorrow were gone.  Maybe next time. I've heard it's an interesting place, although maybe not for a manly man. 

3 comments:

  1. Ken - Hurray for the clear scan and your man card! Maybe Bernice could write one of her poems, since you have supplied the rhyme. Thinking of y'all every day and looking forward to seeing you Saturday.
    On another note, I want to share with you what wonderful educational opportunities have arisen as a result of wearing the orange BCAN wristband. People ask and I have my little elevator speech all ready and they are truly surprised at the prevalence of bladder cancer and the pathetic research and funding situation. So maybe it isn't much, but that wristband has helped to plant a few seeds of awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, I am so thrilled that the Cipro finally has done its job and and you are succesfully peeing like most any man does and they never realize the miracle of it all! The infection in your bladder must have created a major plug. I pray that you can now continue in this manner.
    I have been on a high ever since we talked yesterday and you told me your bone scan was totally clear. What a wonderful blessing! Now let's pray the CT scan is equally perfect.
    Prayer works!!! (as if I ever doubted that!) I'm so happy for you.
    Have a good time in Philly and make it a special little vacation for you and Jen.
    Love you bunches! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken,
    Great news! Tina's wrong about most men not reaalizing the miracle of peeing standing up. I realize it whenever I pull to the side of the road and Bernice must await the next rest stop.

    About the Barnes collection, which I've not seen, you might enjoy the documentary, The Art of the Steal, about the machinations of the Phila. Art Museum to take control of the Barnes collection. It's available streaming on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.