Friday, August 31, 2012

Mets day 140 - that bites

Jennifer, Garrett and I drove down to Lake Anna this afternoon.  Kirsten and her boyfriend will come down tomorrow, as will Chelsea and Josh.  Spencer may or may not come down.  He's been burning the candle at both ends lately, getting up at 5 am for a 6 am power workout, starting school, working, attending his AA meetings, and staying up late watching every preseason NFL game possible, so he said he might just sleep all weekend.

Anyway, Jennifer, Garrett and I went out on the boat, joined by our standard poodle, Nephi.  After a long cruise, we stopped to swim.  As I dove in, Nephi lunged for my leg -- its a game he plays, either on the boat or at the pool -- only this time he got me, sinking one of his teeth into the heel of my foot and ripping open a decent chunk of skin.  We patched it up with gauze from our first aid kit and made our way back to the house.  Since the local clinics were all closed for the holiday, we had to choose between self-medicating or driving for an hour and sitting in an ER for hours more.  Knowing that Chelsea was coming down tomorrow,  we chose the former.  I texted Chelsea to bring her doctor's kit.  I told her that I didn't think it needed stitches, but she should bring something to stop my mouth from foaming.  Maybe cancer won't kill me after all. 

Postscript:  On Saturday I went to an urgent care clinic where the doctor cleaned my wound, gave me a tetanus shot, and a antibiotic prescription.  Everything looks fine. 

2 comments:

  1. Ken, I'm very anxious to hear from you! That bite from Nephi is very serious and should have been dealt with immediately. Please let me know how you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom. You know you can always call me, right?

      Delete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.