Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mets day 144 - 4 month post-surgery report

Four months post-surgery snapshot:

1.  No change on the detection of cancer, since my last scans were in early July.  My next scans will be sometime in October, so I won't know anything more before then.  I've read about others with metastatic cancer have tensed up or gotten more irritable in the weeks before their scans, so I have been mindful of trying to avoid that.

2.  The scars from the surgery have fully healed.  I had another massage by Mike Taylor who worked more on both the primary incision and the SPT incision to break up any connecting scar tissue under the incisions, and have had no recent pain associated with either scar.  On the other hand, I have noticed increase pain in both shoulders, especially when I wake up.  I suspect that while sleeping I am laying on my side in such a way that is causing the pain, but haven't quite figured out how to remedy it.  Mike worked extensively on my shoulders and suggested that I stretch by holding the door frame with both hands and leaning forward.

3.  Sometimes I think I'm feeling stronger than I really am.  This past weekend, Garrett persuaded me to try out a new tube that we bought.  Getting on to and holding on while being pulled by the boat and bumping into Garrett took a lot more strength and energy that I remembered being necessary.  I bailed out after a few minutes.  At 2 am the next morning, I woke up both because I had to pee, and because my shoulders and pechtorals were so sore that it hurt to lay down.  I migrated to the recliner and tried to doze the rest of the night.   I keep forgetting I'm a senior citizen with cancer, and need to act like it.  Honey, pass me my walker and false teeth, will you?

4.  I'm still having difficulties with nighttime continence.  I'm currently investigating options to deal with my recurring stricture, which include watchful waiting (aka doing nothing), regular self-catheterizations, more physical therapy, or additional surgery (by cystoscope). 

5.  I still wear Depends each night, I still wake up every time I start to leak, I rarely get more than 4 hours of sleep each night, and still am unable to feel like I am functioning at full capacity most days.

6.  The only pain I currently feel is due to my sore shoulders.  Advil usually is enough.

7.  Vocal cords are fine.  Hair remains thin.

8.  Appetite is somewhere between normal and ravenous.  I've gained weight in the past month -- of course, the moveable feast that was my birthday helped (or hurt, depending on your perspective).  I must confess that my sense of discipline has been lax of late, since for several months my appetite was smaller than usual.  I think I need start paying more attention to what I eat, instead of eating when I was hungry, which is the advise I was given post-surgery. 

9.  No change on the impotence front.  The vacuum pump people called me today to say that my insurance would pay 100% for their product -- I guess the rep that I met with several weeks ago apparently had done all the paperwork and put in the order.  So I said go ahead and send it.  Jennifer says she can (ahem) hardly wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.