Thursday, September 13, 2012

Mets Day 154 - Surgery tomorrow

Hopkins called yesterday and said that they had a slot open up tomorrow afternoon for the surgical procedure to remove the excess scar tissue from my urethra and neobladder neck.  It will be done by Dr. Trinity Bivalacqua, who I have met on several occasions and like.  This will be the procedure that Dr. Steinberg at U. Chicago recommended last week.  It's short notice, but we'll go with it.  It's will be an outpatient procedure.  I'll show up at about 1, go under anesthesia at about 3, be in the recovery room by 5, and be on the way home by 7 or so.  I'll have a Foley cathether over the weekend, and hopefully will have it removed on Monday.  Thereafter, we'll see how it goes. 

Figuring out whether we could do it this quickly involved a bit of a logistical scramble.  Jennifer is flying to SLC tomorrow to help her little sister who just had a baby.  Also, Garrett has several school commitments tomorrow.  Spencer already had committed to do other things that takes him out of town.  Fortunately Chelsea will be coming off a rotation tomorrow morning and will be able to assist me, and Kirsten can cover Garrett. 

After we figured all this out, I had to arrange to get an EKG, blood and urine work-ups yesterday, but my doc managed to work me in.  I'm hopeful this procedure will help my incontinence, but I've also been warned that I might have to have this procedure repeated more than once before the scar tissue learns to stop growing.  And sometimes it just doesn't work. 

I took Ambien again last night, but didn't sleep as well.  I kept waking up and having a hard time getting back to sleep.  Still, 5.5 hours is better than 4.  I'm going to keep trying to see what works best for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.