Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mets Day 65 - consequences of my stupidity

After the adrenaline wore off from Thursday's accident, I realized I had strained or torn my abdominal muscles when I was chasing the car, yanking open the door, jerking up the emergency brake, then absorbing the impact.  I suspect that my newly knit-together muscles may have torn, and in particular, the still-healing SPT scar had been torn from the underlying muscle.  By Thursday evening, I was in more pain then ibuprofen could handle.  I took two Tramadol at about 9 pm, but they did nothing.  At 10:30 pm I took two Vicodin, and it took nearly an hour for those to kick in.  I was seriously considering going to the ER before the drugs started working.  As it was, it was a hard night.  I could not get comfortable in bed, or in the recliner, or anywhere else.  Sleep was out of the question.  At about 3:30 am I went into the hot tub and found the buoyancy of the water gave great relief.  I fell asleep, and did not wake until dawn broke at about 5:45 am.  Bonus points:  I didn't have to worry about wetting the bed!  (I did throw in some extra chlorine, however.) 

Friday I was pretty groggy and punchy.  I did manage to sell the wrecked car to a student who was taking an auto body class at the local community college, and found another car that Chelsea and Josh approved of.  I mostly migrated between the hot tub, and a recliner with the heating pad on my abdomen.  Every act of sitting up or twisting was painful - it was like the week after surgery all over again.

Friday evening Luis, one of the friars from Chicago, visited us and stayed overnight.  He had been attending a week-long conference in Philadelphia, and came down to DC to visit some of his friends from when he was stationed here.  It was nice to visit with him, and be reminded of his gentle devotion and service.  

Last night was marked by slowly diminishing pain, but also by the inability to get comfortable.  I was unable to stay in any single position or location for more than 90 minutes - alternating between my bed, the recliner, and the hot tub, where I spent more than 4 hours overnight.  (I have it turned down to 100 degrees so it does not dehydrate me.)  Not the most restful of nights.  I took several naps today, but still feel exhausted.  I hope I can get a decent night's sleep tonight.  I took a couple of Percosets with Tylenol, and hope that will block the pain enough for me to get some rest.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the pain. It seems that adrenaline causes us to do that which we would not normally do good and bad. I hope that the pain will subside. Maybe the dr. can check on the 22.
    Our love and prayers are with you.
    Love,
    Jamie and family

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.