Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mets Day 79 - stormy weather

Friday afternoon, Jennifer, Kirsten, my mom and stepdad drove down to our cabin at Lake Anna.  Spencer left for a weekend at Ocean City with friends.  I waited for Garrett to return home from scout camp on Saturday morning.  At about 10:30 pm, a very intense storm blew past, with abotu 30 minutes of what seemed to be hurricane-force winds and driving rain.  (The weather service later reported that winds gusts topped 80 mph in nearby Reston.)  The power went out.  I found the little headlamp and re-read Ender's Game until I fell asleep. 

Saturday morning I surveyed the damage.  We had the tops of two trees down on our lawn, and another in our pool area, damaging another section of pool fence.  The lawn was covered with branches and leaves.  Five of our adirondack chairs on our deck were broken; two had been blown completely off the deck.   Other than that, everything looked ok.  Nothing needed immediate action.  Power lines were down in several places on our lane.  The damage resembled that after Hurricane Isabel in 2003, when we were without power for six days. 

Although the storm also blew over Lake Anna, they still had power there.  Jennifer told me to bring the chain saw as there were a couple of trees down on the road in.  So I loaded up the Jeep with the saw and all the food I could fit from the fridge and freezer, got Garrett, and drove down.  The plan is to stay at the lake until power is restored, which may not be until the end of the week.  No need to sit in a house with no power, no AC, and no water pressure from the well.  I'm just glad everyone is ok and there was no major physical damage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.