Wednesday, October 9, 2013

ddMVAC chemo day 15: chemo and donuts

I met with Dr. Aragon-Ching before today's chemo session started.  I told her I was feeling much better than last week, and I might be as high as 40%.  She verified that I was serious, and carefully checked me over for any signs that the chemo was pushing my body too far.  She said my blood counts were ok -- my platelets were a little low, but everything else was in the normal range.  So now I'm back in the chair with a liter of saline being pushed into my chest through my port.  Today will be the same drill as two weeks ago, with the anti-emetics and four chemo drugs pushed into my body, along with nearly a gallon of fluid.  I'll be back tomorrow and Friday for more hydration.

I came better prepared for today's session -- I stuffed a box of Entemann's donuts in my bag.  Jennifer doesn't know; she has developed a nasty cold and didn't want to inflict her germs on the denizens at the cancer center, so she dropped me off this morning and went back to bed.  I'm testing the theory that eating certain foods during chemo will cause me to avoid them later because I'll associate them with chemo.  A chemo-food association occurred last year with blue PowerAide Zero (I'll drink it now and instantly be reminded of my GemCis chemo).  I also have a chemo association with the large chocolate chip cookies from the nearby deli, but after extensive (and ongoing) research, I'm pretty sure the association is just the cookies from that deli.  I feel an obligation to increase the confidence in that conclusion, as well as my testing for Entemann's.  The sacrifice comes when I have to determine whether I have an aversion to that specific type of donut, or whether it is all types of donuts, or all types of Entemann's.  And because this is for medicinal purposes, I'll ask my tax advisor whether I can include the cost of cookies and donuts in my itemization of medical expenses on my federal taxes. 


http://theshoegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/homerd.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.