Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mets Day 20 - Pre-op

I'm sitting in the University of Chicago hospital's pre-op waiting room.  Jennifer and Chelsea are here with me.  I'm feeling calm and just a bit impatient; I don't like waiting.  I'm not nervous or scared; I have confidence in our decisions and the health care professionals who are responsible for my care.  

Yesterday, we met with Dr. Steinberg, and we both really liked him.  He said he would carefully examine my lymph nodes for cancer, and would have real-time pathology done on any that appeared suspicious.  He also said that he would do an extensive lymphadenectomy, following the common iliac upwards to remove the nodes in the pelvis and into the abdomen.  We also discussed the pros and cons of a neobladder vs. an ileal conduit.  A neobladder has a longer recovery time, and greater risk of complications.  An ilean conduit to an external bag is a faster recovery.  We all agree that a neobladder is the way to go, with two qualifications:  (1) if there is cancer in the urethra, then a neobladder cannot be constructed; (2) if the cancer appears to be systemic, then we decided that an ileal conduit was probably better, because the recovery is much faster, and I'll likely be dead soon anyway.  I don't want to spend my last few months fussing with a neobladder.  We agreed to let it be his call during surgery.  He strongly prefers neobladders, and said he almost feels personally insulted if his patients are not continent.  But he stressed (and we agree) that the number one concern is getting me cancer-free.  Everything else is secondary. 

The surgery will start at about 10 am CT, and will last between 4-6 hours.  Jennifer and Chelsea will be posting updates this afternoon and over the next few days.  We have been grateful for the silent prayers of support and thoughts of all of you, as well as all of the emails and texts and calls of support; please understand if we do not respond. 

Last night we stayed at the St. Augustine Friary guest house.  It is a 15 room guest house in Hyde Park, with three rooms occupied by monks, and six occupied by students at the Chicago Theological Institute.  They have a group dinner each evening (last night was ribs; alas, I could not partake due to the surgery requirements).  The other six rooms are for visitors.  It is a wonderful, calm, quiet place.  Jennifer loves it, which helps me feel good about her stay here. 

Time to go to pre-op.  See you on the other side. 

2 comments:

  1. I left my cell phone at home today :( but have been sending many, many prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel profound gratitude for this surgeon's availability, skill and apparent humanity. My heart is with you minute by minute today. May the Love and Light of your many friends and family continue to bathe you even this moment, as you are in the OR. - Cyn

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.