Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mets Day 28 - Baby Steps

Last night I turned out the light in my bedroom at about 10 pm and, after gingerly trying to find a comfortable position, fell asleep for a couple of hours.  I woke up at 12:50 am, checked and changed my SPT dressing, took a couple of pain pills, then looked at my flat bed with dismay.  It just didn't look comfortable.  One of the benefits of staying at the Friary is that there is a common room in the basement with recliner couches, so I made my way down there, guided by my iPhone flashlight and carrying a blanket, and made a comfortable nest.  I put in my ear buds, selected the New Age genre, and ended up sleeping for nearly six hours.  A good night's rest makes all the difference.  I've still got a significant sleep deficit to make up, but last night was a very good start.
 This morning, Jennifer and I did the mucus flush.  Much to our surprise and relief, we extracted a large volume of  mucus from the neobladder, and had good cross-flows between the two tubes.  We were so excited that we saved it to show the home health nurse, who made her first visit today.  We were like little kids at show and tell, beaming while she held up and examined the nasty, viscous, bloody mess, then praising us for doing so well.  I even got a gold star.

After we relieved the nurse of several bags of supplies, we walked down Cornell Avenue to 55th, and had lunch at at great Thai restaurant called The Snail, where Jennifer and I shared an appetizer and entree.  As we slowly ambled back to the Friary, I could feel a nap coming on.  I changed from the thigh bags to the large drainage bags, then slept for an hour in an Ikea-style chair and ottoman.  I have a feeling that I will be taking lots of afternoon naps during this recovery.  Each day is a baby step forward, and I'm grateful to have Jennifer here and providing so much comfort and support. 

We have purchased return tickets for Wednesday, May 16 on the tentative expectation that I will be cleared for travel after next Tuesday's appointment with Dr. Steinberg.  The tickets are on Southwest, so if they need to be changed, there is no penalty.  The Friary is wonderful, but I'm looking forward to convalescing at home. 

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear your tubes are no longer plugged. I am glad that you are getting out a little. Hope your test results will be as you desire. You are in our prayers!!!!
    Love,
    Jamie and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for bloody mucus flushing!! Words you never expect to say...

    As I read your post today, I have to admit I cringed a little when you describe trundling down the steps in the dark in an unfamiliar place with a blanket I imagine dangling around your feet, all by the light of your iPhone. One can only hope you weren't on big pain meds, wearing floppy slippers, and carrying your laptop and a Diet Coke with Lime. Truly the angels are looking out for you.

    BTW, "The Snail"? Really? Your first real meals and you are going to someplace called "The Snail"? Your stupendous courage up to this point is only surpassed by your courage in eating at The Snail.

    Sending lots of love and we are SO EXCITED that you'll be heading home soon!

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.