Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mets Day 41 - fixing my port

Today I went into GW to have the interventional radiologists figure out why my port was not permitting blood to be drawn from it.  They took me into the OR, sedated me, did a scan with contrast dye, and figured out that my port was kinked and the tip had burrowed into the wall of the vein.  So they snaked a catheter up through my groin, grabbed onto the port tip, straightened it out, stripped the tip of some tissue that had grown around it, tested it, then wok me up and send me on my way.  I was pretty groggy for the day, and took a nap and went to bed early.

Having a fully functioning port is important because whatever additional therapy I get likely will include a lot of infusions.  Better to use the port rather than have my arms look like a pin cushion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.