Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mets Day 30 - AIC

Having survived the MSI yesterday, and after an ok night's sleep, this morning we decided to go to the Art Institute of Chicago.  Jennifer is the artist of the family, and I figured I could just shuffle along behind her, pushing my wheelchair, and sitting in it when I got tired.  We ended up staying for six hours.  Most of my art knowledge comes from the board game "Masterpiece" that we had as kids in the 70's, and virtually every one of the pictures in that game are from the AIC.  Jennifer seemed to enjoy looking at the collections (especially the Impressionists, American Folk Art, the Western American/Native Indian collections, and some of the 20th Century American artists).  She was content to let me slumber in my wheelchair, coming over every now and then to wipe the drool off my chin and change my diaper.  Happy Mother's Day, dear!

We returned home to find that my incision appeared to be getting infected.  It was getting increasingly red and sore.  No fever or other symptoms were present, but we called it in, and the urologist on call prescribed an antibiotic.  We also succeeded in completely flushing both drain lines, so that for the first time since I was discharged, both bags are filling at the same rate.  We are much relieved see that. 

We then settled in to watch the Caps lose to the Rangers in game 7, while chatting with Brother Philip, one of the friars who teaches Latin and theology at the all-male Catholic St. Rita's High School.  We learned more about the Augustinian Order, how it was supported by donations from other Catholic organizations, and how Friars differed from monks in that Friars were outward facing and focused upon serving the larger community, whereas most monks are inward facing within their own community.  One of the other Friars teaches at the Catholic Theological Union across the street, which offers Master's level courses to about 300 students, about half ordained priests (obviously male), and the rest lay students (mostly female).  The students who live at the Friary are studying at CTU.  We inquired how we might make a contribution in gratitude of their hospitality, and was politely but firmly rebuffed.  I am so impressed with the quiet service that these good men provide to the community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.