Friday, May 11, 2012

Mets day 29 - MSI

After another night that started in my bed and ended on the Friary's basement reclining couch, I felt well enough (and stir-crazy enough) to venture with Jennifer to the Museum of Science and Industry.  It was only three blocks away, and had been a place I'd wanted to visit since the 70's, when I learned that it had an actual German WWII U-boat (I've always been interested in WWII).  The MSI calls itself the largest science center in the Western hemisphere, and sprawls over 400,000 square feet.  We rented a wheelchair, which I mostly pushed like a big walker, but occasionally sat in when I needed a break.  We spent about five hours at the MSI, along with scads of schoolkids.  We spent the most time exploring the U-505, which I very much enjoyed. In 2004, the MSI built a new underground display area for the U-boat, with a long ramped walkway around it, and neat displays.  Volunteer interpreters included former US submariners, who were happy to discuss arcane aspects of WWII sub technology and strategies. 

We also checked out an exhibition called "You", which included a number of dissected human bodies, preserved in the same way that the "Bodies" exhibitions do it.  We examined the bladder and prostate in those exhibits, saw how long my kidney stents had to travel (no wonder taking them out hurt so much!), and tried to figure out exactly which section of the colon was used to build my neobladder.  It is amazing what was done to me last week, and that I am already up and moving relatively well. 

Some of MSI's other displays of air and space travel were interesting, but I guess I'm a little spoiled living in the DC area and having the Smithsonian in my back yard.  At about 3 pm, I decided that I had leaked enough urine from around my SPT, and that my stitched-together abdomen had enough movement, so we headed back to the Friary for an afternoon nap.  All in all, an adventurous but good day. 

Still no word on the pathology.  I'm assuming we'll find out during Tuesday's appointment. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it is amazing how well you are doing! It is great you are having a chance to actually be a tourist. I do wish for things to continue to get better and better for you and Jen.

    Love to both of you,

    Ravonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just learned about your blogs....stayed up til 1 reading it ....I can't believe you are up and walking and going to museums already! GO KEN!!! You, Jennifer, your kids and your doctors and nurses are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is amazing what was done to you last week. My co-worker, who doesn't even know you teared up thinking of the miracle that "he's alive". It touched me and reminded me that yes it truly is a miracle. You're in our prayers.
    Love,
    Jamie and family

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.