Friday, February 10, 2012

Chemo day 12 - just a regular guy

All hail to MiraLax!  It is a wonderful thing to have some semblance of regularity in the GI tract.  My sister (a nurse anaesthetist) suggested I try MiraLax after consulting with her GI doctor colleagues, and my oncologist gave it her blessing after other prescriptions and remedies were not working.  The fact the most of the gemcetabine has left my system is no doubt contributing to the relief from constipation.  I can now look forward to a week off from chemo and hopefully will feel almost normal. 

Yesterday and today approached nearly normal -- full days at work both days, and I taught my law school class last night after missing the week before.  Tomorrow I'm going to look at a used Honda Rebel so Kirsten can learn how to ride (she passed the test needed to get her permit earlier this week).   

I hope I continue to feel better before my next round of chemo on Feb. 21.  Next Monday I'm scheduled to attend a hearing in Norfolk, Virginia.  I'm also a keynote speaker at a conference in NYC next Friday, and Jennifer and I are planning on spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the city.  We got engaged in Central Park in August 1983, and it's always fun to go back as a couple.  The train tickets are bought, the hotel is booked, and I've bought tickets to three plays.  I'm very much looking forward to what I hope will be a relaxing break with my long-suffering wife.

When I came home from work today, I found a package from Mrs. Fields cookies.  One of my co-workers apparently had read of my dilemma of whether to eat chocolate chip cookies during chemo, and thereby forever associate that food of the gods with the poisoning of my system.  My colleague's solution was to send me a basket of every type of cookie Mrs. Fields makes.  I know that this generous gift might have the unintended effect creating a negative association with all types of cookies, not just chocolate chip cookies, but I have resolved to bravely throw my body on the altar to test the premise.  Anything for the advancement of science. 

I also received a package from my sister-in-law, who recently learned that she is pregnant with baby #2, and is an expert on all things relating to nausea.  She thoughtfully included a super-stylish 7 quart barf bucket, Ezy-Travel Wristbands (do those things really work??), and chemo pop drops (formerly preggie pop drops).  Plus Ghirardelli chocolate.  Gotta love it!  Thanks to all for your ongoing support.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.