Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chemo day 9 - hit me with your best shot

This morning I woke up at 5 am feeling ok but could not go back to sleep - I'm beginning to think that is the new norm for the day after chemo. I took Garrett to the bus then came into work, thinking I would probably would run out of gas earlier in the afternoon.  So far, so good. 

Later in the morning, I received my first booster shot (Neulasta), which is intended to assist my immune system as my white blood cells have been deprived of their ability to replicate. While reading about the drug, I found a rant from a patient in 2007 complaining that Neulasta was worse than chemo.  I hope not. For the next few days, I am supposed to differentiate between flu-like symptoms that the shot can cause, and flu-like symptoms that mean I have the flu. The former is normal. The latter means I should seek immediate medical assistance. I appreciate the laser-like ability of modern medicine to help distinguish between what matters and what doesn't. It's sort of like life.

I also received the results of my blood work that was done immediately before the second round of chemo.  They generally are ok.  My white blood cell count is down somewhat (3.29; normal range is 4.8-10.8); my hematcrit (14.8) and platlet count (130) are at the low end of normal, but are expected to drop further this week.  I'll be at increasing risk of infection. I carry with me a small bottle of hand sanitizer, but have resisted wearing the surgical mask, since I'm not in Tokyo. 

Kirsten wants to get her motorcycle license - that's my girl! - so later this afternoon I may meet her at the DMV.  I'm also looking for a starter bike for her, like a Honda Rebel. After she gets proficient, maybe she can move up to my Harley Sportster, which would give me a reason to get a Fat Boy or similar bigger hog. Chelsea and Spencer also have expressed interest in riding. That would be fun.  I'd look forward to riding with my kids.  While I might not be doing too much riding this year, it's fun to have things to anticipate in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.