Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chemo day 22 - let's do it again

Today I started the next round of chemo by infusion.  Today's menu was identical to day 1:  3 anti-nausea drugs, a steroid, then the gemcitabine/cisplatin combination.  It only took 6 hours this time -- a bit shorter than day 1, perhaps because I didn't visit with my oncologist this week.  I'm drinking massive quantities of fluid today, trying to flush the poisons out of my kidneys.  I've run through 3 liters orally so far today, and had another 3 liters or so by IV, so there is little risk of dehydration today.  Aside from the frequent bio breaks, today was so exciting that I dozed for a while, aided by George Winston, Jim Brickman, and Liz Story on the piano.  No fire alarms this time. 


Before starting chemo this morning, the lab ran my blood to see how I was doing.  The week off did wonders:  Virtually all of my counts were in the normal range, including a remarkable resurgence of my platelets.  I guess it's ok to bleed now. 

Having run the gauntlet once already, I feel somewhat better prepared.  I altered my prep strategy by resuming MiraLax on Sunday, and now am taking it twice a day, hoping that will keep me regular.  I'm also going to better regulate and track the dosage and frequency of the anti-emetic drugs.  I have two types, and need to learn more about how they interact and influence my gut.  Stuff for a future blog post.  The nurse at the Cancer Center said that GemCis tears up the GI tract, and each patient responds differently.  It's very much an art, and not a science, she said, despite what the docs want you to think. 


I have noticed that my hair comes out more easily.  I had read that hair loss, if it happens, may occur after the third week.  I'm on schedule.  I'm not losing massive quantities, but notice that when I wash my hair, or comb it, or run my fingers through it while in the hot tub, there is more hair than usual in my fingers or the comb.  I'm not overly concerned about losing my hair, however.  Vanity of appearance has never been one of my stronger sins, probably because I realized early on that there's only so much good putting lipstick on a pig will do.  I'm slightly curious what I would look like bald, but not so curious that I've done anything about it.  If it happens, eh.  It will grow back (maybe).  On the upside, being bald will would save time during my morning routine.  During the Summer of '85, immediately before Jennifer and I spent 3 months backpacking through Europe, I had my longish hair whacked back with a "finger cut", e.g., about 1/2 inch long all over my head.  While in Europe, I combed my head with a towel, and didn't care how it looked.  Maybe the Spring of '12 will feature a return to the towel-based method of hair care. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're more prepared to weather the side effects with this round. That's an improvement! If baldness happens, it's certainly in vogue. Remember a hat or sunscreen for your head. Yes I do sound like a broken record. I loved yesterday's post. I too struggle at keeping the important priorities at the forefront of my consciousness; I assume that is part of the human condition for most of us. The lessons you are learning are valuable, and valuable to us with whom you share them. :) Namaste

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments will not be accepted for posting.